Roots and Wings International is recruiting for new volunteers! Our team is small but mighty and is looking for passionate people to volunteer as the following:
- Bloggers with an interest in international development in Latin America, indigenous groups, Guatemala, Guatemalan culture, education or technology. We are looking for great writers who can contribute at least one post per week. This is a great opportunity to hone your writing skills, learn more about Guatemala and indigenous issues, and express your creativity. Writers are wanted for both the English and Spanish versions of the blog.
- In-Country (Guatemala) Social Media Lead to promote our on-the-ground communications via social media, and help host our guests and student groups who come to visit the dozens of villages that our organization serves. For a period of three months (shorter or longer stays are negotiable), volunteer(s) will stay for free in the RWI eco-lodge set in the beautiful rural coffee highlands of Pasac, help provide content for our blog and social media teams, and encourage our guests to share their travel activities on their social media accounts as well as on Roots and Wings’ (Flickr, Blog, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.).
- Marketing Website Project Manager & Writers to manage and write for various marketing projects on our website, including writing for our monthly newsletter, creating landing pages for fund raising campaigns, as well as producing website content. This is a great opportunity for someone with strong writing skills, a good eye for layout and design, Spanish language skills, and experience in HTML and CSS.
- Public Relations Coordinator/Manager to write press releases and reach out to the appropriate mass media. We’re seeking a self-motivated volunteer to handle and lead our publicity efforts. The incumbent should have strong writing skills, a desire to pursue a career in public relations, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team on a virtual basis. The volunteer will work closely with our founder and the marketing lead.
- Senior Writer/Blog Manager (Spanish Blog) to build and lead a small team for our Spanish blog. The manager will take the lead in recruiting and engaging bloggers in Spanish, managing the editorial calendar, and coordinating with our English Blog Manager and publicity team members. This is a good opportunity to gain experience in blog management, writing, communicating with international audiences, and social media.
- Video Editor to edit raw footage into completed video for lively and appealing presentation on YouTube, on our website, and for use during fund raising events. The incumbent will be developing a storyboard, developing and implementing graphics and video effect, and creating voiceover and/or subtitles.
A reminder about who we are and what we do: Roots & Wings International promotes elementary through university education in rural Guatemala. We work with indigenous youth whose families earn approximately $2 per day growing coffee. Our work is rooted in recognizing the importance of culturally responsive education that empowers students to connect their cultural identity with sustainable social and economic development. The immediate goal of RWI is to foster university education in this region for the purpose of promoting a group of indigenous professionals from the area. Once an applicant pool of local bilingual professionals is formed, the organization’s goal will be to establish a high school run by these local leaders. The overall goal is to offer a high quality education that prepares students to become competitive university applicants, while preserving and valuing their rich Mayan heritage. To make post-secondary studies a possibility, RWI offers university scholarships to all qualifying high school graduates who choose to continue on to their university studies.
More information on all volunteer positions is available online here - check it out and contact us with questions or inquiries!